America’s Test Kitchen is looking for a Senior Editor with the right mix of creativity, skills, experience, and passion to help us build our growing Kids business—which includes a line of cookbooks, picture books, and board books; a monthly subscription box program; and a free website for kids (and their grown-ups) full of recipes, activities, quizzes, and other curriculum at the intersection of food and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math). We’re on a mission to empower the next generation of cooks and we want to do that across all mediums with equal levels of creativity and craft.
Every day, you’ll work closely with our team of editors and test cooks, going to (virtual, for now!) recipe tastings and activity testings, figuring out creative ways to translate complex ideas into educational and engaging content for kids ages 5 and up.
You’ll be a part of a highly collaborative team full of humble experts. No one is too good for any task. We all roll up our sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done. Bring your ideas, leave your ego at the door. If you’re a detail-oriented editor, an engaging writer, and have a passion for bringing learning to life, this job may be for you.
- Research, write, and edit content for our kids’ subscription boxes—hands-on experiments, recipes, short essays, and other activities and games.
- Edit, research, and write content for our cookbooks for kids, including recipes, sidebars, and sales and marketing materials.
- Develop, write, and edit hands-on experiments and STEAM activities for kids, centered around food and cooking.
- Actively participate in brainstorming sessions for future kids cookbooks, subscription boxes, and other products for kids ages 5 and up.
- Take part in team recipe tastings (currently virtual, but someday in person!) and contribute feedback that helps determine a recipe’s direction
- Pitch ideas and write digital articles for our adult audience and for our newsletter. Help ensure all content across the Kids brand meet our high standards for quality, accuracy, and inclusivity
- 7+ years writing/editing experience (book publishing and/or journalism experience a plus)
- 5+ years of experience in education/working with children (experience in STEAM education a plus)
- A talent for translating complex concepts into engaging, kid-friendly language
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and stay organized in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment where priorities can shift quickly
- Familiarity and experience with digital publishing tools (CMS, digital asset management, etc.)
- Stellar communication skills
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Self-starter, able to work independently and take initiative
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- A high degree of curiosity
- Knowledge of—and interest in—food and cooking