Direct Manager: Jessica Pederson, Director of Education
Job Category: Exempt, Full-time, Permanent
Location: Boylston, MA
Travel Required: Occasional
Salary or Rate Range: $55,000 - 60,000
Apply at: https://towerhillbg.isolvedhire.com/jobs/
Date posted: 03/11/2022 Posting Expires: Open until filled.
Tower Hill Botanic Garden believes diversity in nature promotes a healthy, vigorous garden. We believe that diversity among our staff promotes a healthy work environment and a vigorous organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe in diversity of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ability, and all the other traits that make us unique. Tower Hill is an equal opportunity employer.
The Manager is expected to carry out the responsibilities of the job in ways that support Tower Hill’s mission and to its commitment to creating a diverse and welcoming organization.
- Being welcoming to all staff and the public
- Be respectful of staff differences and preferences
- Use gender neutral communication styles
- Respect everyone’s pronouns
- Attend IDEA workshops and training sessions
- Make efforts to support a diverse work force
- Develop and support a culture within the department that recognizes and supports Tower Hill’s IDEA initiatives (Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility)
Under the direction of the Director of Education, the Manager of Adult Education is charged with attracting and serving a diverse population of new and existing adult audiences through a comprehensive suite of existing and new learning opportunities including but not limited to in-person and online programs, hands-on workshops, series classes, lectures, symposia, and trips. The Manager of Adult Education works to strengthen curriculum, diversify instructional strategies, hire new teaching staff, and helps shape our overall growth strategy by analyzing enrollment data and student evaluations. The ideal candidate is strategic, creative, highly organized, an excellent communicator, and has extensive experience with adult program planning and logistics.
Manager of Adult Education Responsibilities
- Manage program logistics such as schedules, materials, recordkeeping, class cancelations and reschedules, website updates, etc.
- Oversee and improve policies and procedures relating to adult education, including procedural manuals
- Attend and supervise programs as needed and arrange for weekend and evening program coverage when needed
- Oversee the successful operation of all Adult Education offerings including instructor communication and A/V needs, ensuring that programs are planned and executed in a professional manner
- Develop and teach classes in areas of specialty as needed
- Develop interpretive resources including educational videos and handouts for adults
- Develop adult programs that complement and enhance Tower Hill exhibitions, plant shows, and events
- Develop an instructor core and programs that engage and reflect a population that is representative of Worcester County’s diversity
- Develop accessible no- and low-cost learning opportunities for adults
Leadership and Interpersonal Relations
- Develop a vision and a 5-year plan that aligns with our educational and strategic plan and supports lifelong learning for our diverse adult audiences
- Help to position Tower Hill as a leader among public gardens and informal education institutions as the go-to regional source for gardening and horticultural knowledge
- Develop partnerships with like-minded institutions to enhance adult learning and expand audiences
- Observe classes and analyze student evaluations to provide constructive feedback to instructors
- Work with Tower Hill staff to utilize their subject-matter expertise to further enhance or teach adult education programs
- Create a welcoming environment for students and instructors with high quality customer service
- Analyze the return on investment, mission value, and success of current educational offerings and make recommendations for improvement
- Create and manage the adult education budget, meet yearly earned revenue goals, and maximize available resources to reach new audiences
- Implement grants and assist with grant writing and capital fundraising efforts to support adult programming as needed
Supervision and Training
- Supervise, train, and manage one part-time employee, the Registrar and Weekend Programs Assistant, who provides customer service for all education programs, serves as a point of contact for registration questions, and provides weekend program coverage
- Recruit, oversee, guide, support, and clearly communicate with 50+ instructors with subject matter expertise
- Supervise and train volunteers who support adult learning experiences
The Manager of Adult Education position is salaried and exempt from overtime. When program coverage is not required, the typical schedule is Monday through Friday. However, the work schedule for this position can be highly variable. The Manager must be able to flex their schedule to accommodate evening and weekend programs. Work is performed both indoors and outdoors, and the Manager of Adult Education will be asked to assist with program management in outdoor roles.
Manager of Adult Education Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental education, museum studies, horticulture, public gardens, or related field, or equivalent experience and five years of related experience preferred
- Experience in a management role and the ability to supervise employees and contract instructors
- Proven ability to plan, document, manage, report, and analyze results
- Proven ability work in a fast-paced environment with a diverse team
- Ability to give and receive feedback and cooperate with staff to solve problems
- Experience in planning, designing, marketing, and evaluating education programs
- Experience building partnerships with other organizations
- Experience creating and managing budgets
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal tactfully with visitors, students, volunteers, instructors, and staff
- Ability to work with diverse groups and exercise cultural competence and inclusion
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing and in conversation
- Content knowledge in horticulture, gardening, natural resources, or a related field strongly desired
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft suite, CRM databases, and internet applications
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and work outdoors in all seasonal extremes
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be comfortable with local travel
- Must be able to work with appropriate computer and communications equipment
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Works with an awareness of surroundings and vigilant to any possible threat to the safety of staff and the public, or to Tower Hill property. Ensures all concerns are reported promptly.
- Reports all accidents and injuries immediately to an immediate supervisor and/or Chief Financial & Operations Officer, or designee.
- Complies with provisions of the current Employee Handbook, all published personnel policies, and the requirements of the job description.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, Tower Hill Botanic Garden fosters an inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and serve our visitors as well as the communities of Worcester County, Massachusetts, and New England.
Currently all employees are required to wear masks while on the property.
All Tower Hill, employees must be fully vaccinated (verification required) or be approved by Tower Hill as exempt for medical or religious reasons. If the employee receives this accommodation, they must be tested weekly at a site of their choosing and provide a negative PCR test result to Tower Hill. A booster is required 7 months after 2nd Moderna or Pfizer Vaccine or 90 days after Johnson and Johnson vaccine.