GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Christa McAuliffe Center, manager of the Framingham State University Planetarium, is seeking a part time instructor to facilitate planetarium programs for K-12 school groups and out-of-school time groups. The Planetarium Instructor will independently operate all planetarium equipment and systems in order to facilitate daily planetarium activities that are educational, interactive, and responsive to the needs of a diverse range of visiting groups. Experience working in a planetarium environment is recommended.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Assistant Director
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitating daily educational activities in the planetarium for K-12 school groups and out-of-school time groups
- Assisting in all aspects of daily school visits including welcoming, transitions, lunch, etc.
- Communicating effectively with all visitors
- Ensuring that all planetarium equipment and systems are working properly
- Accountable for ensuring that affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity are integrally tied to all actions and decisions in areas of responsibility.
Staff occasional evening and weekend events at the McAuliffe Center.
- Associates or Bachelors Degree
- Ability to present in a dynamic and engaging manner
- Demonstrated experience in teaching, informal education, outreach, and/or youth development
- Knowledge of space and Earth science and astronomical concepts including the solar system, the night sky, space exploration, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new software and digital technologies required for planetarium operation
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve Windows-based computer issues
- Demonstrated commitment to a high standard of inclusive educational practice
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to the needs of a diverse range of audiences representing a wide range of ages, backgrounds, and abilities
- Experience working with Spitz SciDome XD or similar networked computer systems
- Experience working with presentation software such as Starry Night Dome, Spitz ATM-4, Spitz Player, etc.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Portuguese are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a part-time non-benefited, contract position, not to exceed 18 hours per week. The pay rate is $18/hour.
It is the policy of Framingham State University that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including booster if eligible before they begin employment. Proof of the COVID-19 vaccine is required of all individuals hired by FSU, to be verified after a verbal offer of employment has been accepted, and before employment begins. Prospective employees may submit a request for a medical or religious exemption to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement to Human Resources. Furthermore, FSU employees must wear a mask inside campus buildings.
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter,
- Equity and Inclusion Statement*,
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*The Equity and Inclusion Statement is an opportunity for candidates to discuss professional skills, experience and/or willingness to engage in activities that would enhance the university's efforts to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Equity and inclusion statements will be considered as part of a transparent and comprehensive review of candidate application materials.
Application Deadline: For full consideration, application materials must be received by February 18, 2022. Apply now.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or email@example.com.